Weather you have a Tennessee Walking Horse, Rocky Mountain, Missouri Fox Trotter, Paso Fino, or any other gaited breed, the advice you'll get from Larry Whitesell in this video should change your mind on how you should be training your gaited horse.
What you'll Learn In This Video
There is common misconception in the Gaited Horse World...
- You must ride in a compressed, inverted posture.
- That you need to buy special bits, get breed-specific training, or let their feet grow a certain way.
- Impulsion and gait only come from speed
- Proper foundation is the best training to get any horse to gait the way it was bred to go!
- Gaited Horses do not need to be trained differently from trotting horses.
- You cannot MAKE the horse gait.
Get the horse in balance, engage the hind end, and the gait should will happen.
CW Training, Charles Wilhelm - Gaited horses part 1 with Larry Whitesell, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzQ7VxqFknc, Retrieved Nov 10, 2017
CW Training, Charles Wilhelm - Gaited horses part 2 with Larry Whitesell, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzQ7VxqFknc, Retrieved Nov 10, 2017
2 thoughts on “Charles Wilhelm – Gaited horses with Larry Whitesell”
Very helpful! I was lucky enough to have a good trainer (not a gaited trainer, but a really great trainer for all horses) who helped me with a great foundation for my horse, but after a year I find I need to do some fine tuning. These ideas and exercises are perfect for my horse, and I love the explanations and seeing the demonstrations, and observing the differences made by training exercises in the horse in the video. Thank you!
Thank you for your kind words Pat. I am thankful that you found the article helpful. Good luck with your further training.